There are only two things that can salvage a truly horrible and stressful day: a big bowl of pasta with a side of warm chocolate chip cookies. Add a best friend, few glasses of wine, a romantic comedy chick-flick and we’re well on the road to recovery. It’s Saturday night and we’re trowing a pity-party for two. Sometimes you just have to let it go.
My absolute favourite emotional dish is Fettucini Carbonara. It’s straight up classic comfort food and – contrary to what most people think- it’s SO easy to make. Many people (and restaurants!) get it wrong by adding ingredients that just don’t belong. A real Carbonara has no cream, no ham, no peas… Keep it simple: Eggs, cheese, pancetta. That’s it. Seriously kids, life is complicated enough as it is, stop adding crap to it!
All you need are fresh quality ingredients, $15, 10 minutes and a shoulder to cry on…. EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT.
Makes 2 servings (or 1 giant serving, if it’s a REALLY bad day)
250-300g of Fettucini
100g pancetta, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup pecorino Romano, grated
nub of butter
salt and pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot and salt it.
- In the mean time, in a large pan, fry up your pancetta cubes with the garlic (the pancetta will create it’s own oil, so it isn’t necessary to add more). Remove from heat when it’s nice and crispy, do not overcook or it will be hard and dry. Drain on paper towel.
- Cook your pasta following package directions until al dente.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork and mix in the cheese, add pepper to taste. Set aside.
*** VERY IMPORTANT***
if you don’t follow these directions your eggs will cook and you will have “Fettucini à la scrambled egg”
- Strain your pasta, then put in back in the pot and REMOVE FROM HEAT COMPLETELY.
- Add a nub of butter and mix. Wait 90 seconds. Time it.
- Add the pancetta.
- Add the egg mixture and begin stirring the pasta IMMEDIATELY for a 30 seconds of vigourous tong-swishing, you really need to coat every piece with this delicious sauce.
- Plate it, top it with a heap of cheese and devour it!