WRG? has been on a serious man-food binge. With father’s day, KD’s mac n’ cheese competition and summer BBQ overload, we seriously can’t stop. And in preparation for Canada day, we just had to give into this amazing creation.
The flavours are pretty classic and always a hit. I mean, it’s wrapped in bacon, wwhat’s not to like? They look very impressive and are relatively low-budget. So for your next gathering/cookout/boy’s night aim to impress.
We served our chops with a very simple potato salad - definitely a summer staple. I’ve always had a hard time with potato salads, mostly because the flavours can be pretty bland… but this one is a keeper. I think the secret is to keep it basic. I found a package of mixed yellow, red and blue potatoes, which I thought would add a little colour to the dish. It turned out super pretty and I’m already planning to make it again for my next BBQ potluck.
Apple-stuffed Bacon-wrapped Pork Chops
6 Pork chops (no bone)
1 pkg bacon
Ingredients for Apple stuffing:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp dried sage
1/2 cups thick cut white bread, crusts removed and cubed
1 medium egg, beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth, plus more if needed
Method for the Apple Stuffing:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped apples, chopped onion, sage and stir to coat with butter/oil.
- Saute until apples and onions are softened and fragrant.
- Remove from heat and transfer apple and onion mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the bread, the beaten egg, salt and pepper and stir gently to incorporate.
- Add the chicken broth gradually until everything is moistened.
- Let the stuffing mixture cool completely before stuffing the chops.
Method for the Pork chops:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut a slit into the sides of the pork chops, about 2″ long.
- Using your knife, shape the slit into a pocket in the pork chop.
- Scoop the apple filling into the pork chop, about 2 tablespoons per pork chop.
- Cover each pork chop with two strips of bacon, being sure to cover the slit in the side and ensuring the ends of the bacon are secured with a toothpick
- Bake on a large baking sheet for 35-45 minutes (flip halfway through), or until cooked through.
Ingredients for Potato Salad:
1 pkg small red potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled and quartered
3 large eggs
1/4 cup green onions, chopped thin
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup low fat mayo mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Method for Potato Salad:
- In a large pot ring water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let cool
- In a medium pot bring water to a boil. Carefully add the eggs; cook for 12 minutes, then remove to a bowl of ice water to cool completely.
- Peel the eggs under cold running water, then roughly chop.
- In a large bowl, combine the celery, mayo, greek yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, smoked paprika, salt and pepper
- Gently mix in the potatoes, eggs and scallions.